Heroes of Gaming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well games that people play in a community..

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Well games that people play in a community.. Empty Well games that people play in a community..

Post  Lawrencius Sun May 26, 2013 1:11 pm

..aren't games like borderlands 2 I think. Isn't that game capped at 4 players per game anyway? I actually thought B1 was rather rediculous towards the end and the replay value absent imo. You had no feeling for comradeship when you joined PUGs. Was my experience atleast, and I remember playing solo + with a steamfriend back then. And I believe it wasn't even a steam game back then.

What would be more interesting to get this tiny community "healthier" is getting into games that require some sort of experience sharing and perhaps even skill building/learning, or however you call it. Or atleast a reason to be in a community.

So to me games like:

DOTA2: 5 players per team, it's a 5v5 game and so clans could have training fights etc just like in AOM for example. There is a very active community and they have tournaments and competitions worldwide, if any game, DOTA2 is probably the coolest game I know of right now in regards to teamplay and community building.

TESO: It's possible this is gonna be pretty damn big as game like WoW, but we will have to see about that, besides we are already discussing it and we just have to wait.

AOE3: Why not? Really? You can buy the entire AOE3 set for a peanut on steam.

Minecraft: Why isn't this game integrated yet? If you wanna have a community, all you have to do is make some shit, post a vid and throw it on youtube.

TF2: Because unlike some shooters, this game is a mix between player skill and teamplay. It's free aswell, and that for a valve game o.O

ARMAII or III: Only tested the game in SP a bit and it is something different x) There is also a mod that fucks with the gameplay mechanics and transforms it in a movie type zombie flick.

L4D2 pvp (but I doubt that is still active, way back that game was already feeling stupid, nobody playing expert etc anymore).
Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Well games that people play in a community.. Empty Re: Well games that people play in a community..

Post  Yankee Sun May 26, 2013 1:50 pm

I am glad we are getting some healthy input again. The negligence pissed me off and we can come up with some great ideas. From my side, I would fully support and help with development into TESO and Minecraft.

TESO will be huge, but there are already a hundred clans, including RP clans. You can see the setting at ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) Due to the fact that these clans exist already even before the game's release shows that many of them are very hardcore clans, although I have found a few casual ones that just wanted to get a head start. I do not think using HoR as a clan there is a good idea, and I will not be making my own clan under HoG or otherwise for this game until I have had the chance to play it and see it's mechanics. I am thinking about joining one of these clans though so I can have a small head start with forming groups, preferably a casual one. Depending on the circumstance, that clan can be associated with HoG, but it is too early to start anything, and I will be taking my time anyway. The fact that TESO have so much variety and theoretically would have a niche for any type of gameplay, there is A LOT of potential there, but there is no harm in taking it slow with it. We want to get it right if we go into it.

I absolutely love the idea of RP in Minecraft, it would allow us to build our own way, use our own map/server and have ultimate flexibility, including mods and such. Starting it would be no problem and people can always join throughout, which is great. The only drawback is a minecraft server would not be a great way to meet people if whitelisted, and if it is labelled accordingly and made public, an OP would always have to be present to filter out any griefers.

In any case, I'm willing to help build on those two ideas. I am not such a big fan of TF2 to be honest, so I won't be much a help there Razz I believe Hades also knows his way around AoE3 and I might look into it down the line depending on how this unfolds.

Yankee
Yankee

Back to top Go down

Well games that people play in a community.. Empty Re: Well games that people play in a community..

Post  Hades Sun May 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Me and Codie did trial a clan for AoE3 but it failed to take off. Once I can get Age of Empires Online running again, I will look at moving it to that, as it attracts a bigger base than AoE3 does.

Other ideas of mine at this time mainly revolve around advancing with the games into their sequels. Yes Borderlands 2 does only support 4 players, but find the right guys and they will co-operate together and will make it interesting to form a clan with. My current aims are to set HoW onto Battlefield 4, for obvious reasons, and to get a HoS onto AoEO (HoS technically exists on AoE3 as it is) and to get a HoS onto 0AD when it comes out. HoR may also look at 0AD (Opensource RTS game created by many Heavengamers, I could easily attract support from that). These are the only current plans I have in mind, however, any more are obviously welcome. A Minecraft RP sector would be interesting however. In fact interesting is an understatement.

And yes Yankee, I do know my way around AoE3, nothing special at the multiplayer but I can take a few players down, and in a 4v4 against the highest AI I have won on numerous occasion. I unfortunately, out of all of these mentioned, only own AoE3. 0AD as I mentioned earlier, is in open alpha which does deter people from playing it.

Out of all these mentioned, Battlefield 4 would likely have the highest opportunity for growth, I will seek to get it for PS4, as it is going to support 32 vs 32 on console (PS4 and Xbox One only of course).

Oh, and to note how much HoS took off, in 3 weeks me and Codie could only find 1 member to recruit. Almost everyone on there is in a clan now, and it is practically impossible to create a new one on there.
Hades
Hades
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrencius Wed May 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Let's put it simpler, it comes down to this:

You want a community? What is the reason for anybody in said game to join this community? Lots of people don't hav the patience or time to spend on sidetracks like forums and such if they are just in it for the game.

Usually a community consists for people who an extra half hour to spend now or then and also usually the said game requires you to premake games / strategies or atleast discuss them (be that discussing tricks, tips, cheats etc).

Since I played Borderlands 1 and I assume B2 is not far from it, explain to me why you would join a community instead? What you would seek from a community if you were for example a loner

Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrencius Wed May 29, 2013 10:10 pm

To continue my own reply, I think in this case, to be honest the best idea to do right now. Is to go crazy into minecraft.

In that, it is a different game from most, as you can seemingly play it for ages because of the sandbox concept -> kinda like what you have in AoM RP, something you don't have in other games nowadays. Referring to casual survival mode for this instance.

But this seemingly endless world of opportunity, it also allows for RP, since this guild is about RP, atleast that is why I joined back when I was in here.

There is one fat problem to this game though:
- minor problem that it costs you 20EUR to buy an account, not really a problem tbh.
- major problem that someone has to be OR have a server.
1) being a server sucks balls, you need electricity and a second device to host it. well atleast that is how the people I talked to about it did it, that's 3 people. I haven't seen anyone hosting and playing on the same computer, right now I have no answer why, but maybe it is just for the reason that hosting a server on a heavy gaming computer would cost too much electricity if you'd be AFK, hosting a server when nobody is on it. As internet connection and RAM usage should be out of the question since we are talking about a gamer desktop.

2)the more reliable thing, imo, is renting a hoster. the costs are obvious then, you pay monthly and you get what you pay and the renter is boss.

I have been thinking to rent a server, had that idea for ages now. The only thing I want then is to get active members who give a damn about what I am doing. And even though the idea of making typical MC vids is old, I still wouldn't bounce back to make a video every now and then to youtube/stream some stuff.
People passionate enough about mc can check out the stuff being done on the server and so it could allow for people to join in.

The questions are then, if I would do this:

- can people here confirm if they have MC or not?
- can those people say if they would be interested in playing regularly?
- are there people amongst us interested in helping out in any possible way? looking into streaming/narrating/environment building and whatever?
- anyone who can sponsor/donate or have ideas to help keeping a server up?

The reason why I say I could use help is because it is impossible to be on a server 24/7. At times I have no problem but at times I am stressing my balls off in school. Plus a project like this, I don't want to throw away in the trash, just like that, so I want solid shit.
Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankee Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 pm

I am in a server with a bunch of university friends right now but the host website is crap, so I want to move to another one. I have found some good one that are not priced per slot, so the more players would make it cheaper per player. I am probably going to get one of these later, but recently, I have been messing with the server files on the one we have now. I am learning a lot of file management tricks, config, and server property setup, so I think I can safely say I know how to manage a server, fix problems, and back it up using FTP details if necessary.

We can't have someone be the server, too unreliable, especially when that computer is being switched on and off periodically. Besides, we don't want to put our MC map in the hands of one person anyway.

The issue with getting a server for something like this is how the payment scheme will go. Other than that we would need to figure out who becomes OPs/admins, public/whitelist, world settings etc. anyway.

I am up for this and I don't mind using my information or credit card depending on the price and how the payment scheme goes. One most websites you can create sub-users, so other people can log on to the server management other than the one who is paying for it, which would be a good idea for keeping stuff up to date when one person is unavailable.
Yankee
Yankee

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrencius Wed May 29, 2013 11:57 pm

Well it's very simple really, if I would rent and be admin:

- standard survival mc
- so basic I don't even care for textures, the only thing added is the skin of the puppets ^^
- if any mods, it have to be mods that make it easier to distribute rules, as in management mods
- yes it would be handy if there are people working under an admin with certain powers to help around

In MC I've always been pro-soloing but with fast connection to other people's bases + at the center of the server a community place with stuff that people build together, and trading center (market). Just for RP and cozyness'sake.
Yankee will understand what I mean because it was what I tried to do before together with the people from my previous server.

What it would look like then is that you have a town in the center/spawm or very near it and a big message board with a link to an imagine or page where the rules are shown, and other messags if neccesary.

-> A huge area can be distributed for PvP / RP battling ... like a community build warzone, arena, dungeon, whatever brah.. xD
-> Land distributed anywhere on the map, connected to the center through usage of the nether. So everyone's base (their main noteworthy ones) will have a nethergate and inside the nather a fortified minecartstation.
Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Post  Lava Thu May 30, 2013 12:41 am

On the topic of Minecraft. A) I do have the Game. B) One of my friends has figured out a way of running a public server on His PC and be able to play it himself and with others. I will just need to ask him How to do it. But as you say Lawrencius, I would not be able to keep the server running at all times because of electricity cost's. I'm on most afternoons anyway (GMT), so I can keep the server running then.
Lava
Lava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrencius Thu May 30, 2013 11:22 am

Yeah that was the "someone being a server" choice which I talked about.
Also nothing personal towards you nor your friend but I am not fond of someone controlling the server who is "young, really young". Not for the technical aspect, nope. I have no doubt in that, if you say you know how to do your things, you can.

It's about them "monkey years" you teenagers "could" go through... I have seen enough teenagers acting ape. I just am really against taking a risk like that. If you want to continue with your server, it's advisable atleast one older person is going admin on it aswell + this person is also responsible for atleast weekly backups. But I'm not seeing me or yankee volunteering to be a host. Well I don't speak for Yankee so whatever, see what he says about it first, as he also has a server with his friends.

Thing is though, there is a difference in having your roommates or schoolfriend host a LAN with you. And keeping your computer on 24/7 (even so if you make schedules with offline times so it isn't really 24/7 etc). I wanna see the reactions when the electricity bill go up with people who live at a student place or at their parents. Haha let alone when you are 15 and your parents could get angry with you having their comp up all day.

It's not being discriminating, don't get me wrong on this, discriminating is being hateful and pop out excuses to be like that. This is an experience matter, I have seen it in games oh so many times before, children being seriously unprofessional..

In the case of MC.. when I went off the radar a "long" period cause of school and then coming back, motherfucking depot in my base completely empty, my god damn secret & tucked away ladder into an underground brick "bunker" full of diamond and gold.. raided and filled with dirt. Go look outside my land where me and another person build and shared dominion over, fucking disgusting noob scenery everywhur o.O with wool so much coloured wool XD that wool from my depot on everything where it didn't belong.
Crazy as heck gaping wound of a dug square hole in the middle of my landscape aswell. It's like as if they wanted to give the minecraft earth an asshole - what the fuck lmao. As if them leftover nukes from '45 came to haunt my butt & fell in my castle's front yard or what the shit XD as if I loaded the wrong game thus radscorpions and deathlaws would jump me instead of skeleton archers and zombs.

.. after computing all of this treachery I decided it was time to go Rambo.

Powned the motherfuckers zapping around with diamond equipsiez and teleporting commands x) slayed every single fucker that tried to stop me from tnt'ing there miserable little houses. Slayed the same people 3 times in a row if it was neccesary. Cause respawn could kiss my ass.

Then the ones who were smart enough to know they couldn't kill me, start spamming the chat so the admin came on (the server had this weirdass admin that showed offline but could randomly see stuff, as if he was masturbating the entire evening and had the server text log in the bottomcorner of his comp lmao).

And thus the story ended there when the megafapper banned me.

So tell me, you want weird shit to happen like this or what XD
Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Post  Lava Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 pm

I did say that I would be unable to keep the server running at all times. But again like I said, I'm on the computer most afternoon's anyway (4PM (or 5 if I say behind after school) - 9 or 10PM), and even if someone else is using it, I can keep the window running on my particular user. I am giving a suggestion, if you don't like the suggestion, give a couple of reasons and i'm happy, I really don't need long paragraphs as it wastes my time reading them, and your time writing them? O.K? Good. Arguably "Renting" can be more expensive though, as you would be paying their electricity bill, and most probably giving the an extra £10-£20 on top of that, compared to you just paying your own electricity bill.
Lava
Lava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mittyho Thu May 30, 2013 9:34 pm

5-9pm on most days would still be fairly annoying, as it's really not much even for us GMT people, much less for people like Yankee or Lawrenicus who I assume are in different timezones. I'd join up a Minecraft server but I can't promise how active/dedicated I'd be - I have a short attention span when it comes to video games.
Mittyho
Mittyho

Back to top Go down

Post  Lava Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Yankee is currently in the UK, so it's all good XD, As for Lawrencius, I have no clue where he lives.
Lava
Lava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lava Thu May 30, 2013 10:12 pm

And there are still other options to just Minecraft. As we've said 0 A.D looks promising and i'm going to be downloading Star Trek Online (I hope it's a fairly good game XD)
Lava
Lava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankee Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 pm

I don't mind getting another server, if we find a reliable one. Like I said, I wouldn't mind using my credit card.

As for the person being the server. I agree with Zwet, putting the responsibility of controlling the map to a single person is risky enough, but if the person isn't capable of configuring the server during issues, then it's even worse. We just had a corrupted chunk (black chunk that doesn't load) in our map on the server and no one was able to fix it, so I had to go into MCEdit and reset the chunk manually.

If you guys would rather have it free, next year my electricity bill is included, so if you guys are willing to do like schedule things where I can leave my laptop on from like 5pm GMT - 8am GMT I could look into that. My laptop is fast enough to do it, but I just need the information. My laptop is on pretty much all the time anyway, and when I'm taking lecture notes, the WiFi might make the server available throughout the day XD
Yankee
Yankee

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrencius Fri May 31, 2013 1:04 am

First:
@lava

"washes your time? give you a reason?"
there there little fella as if you have anything better to, like running multibillion companies and such at your age.
I've been stating that it wasn't a personal matter, but still getting their imaginative 10 inch dicks stepped on anyway? gimme a break -_-
this is just the reason why I dislike young people having any say in anything.. in any game clan whatsoever.

Really now there is no place for trashtalking about a waste of time when discussing things on a forum of a gaming clan. If it bothers you that much, just piss off from my topic.

Secondly:
What is AD?? there are more games with that abreviation? I'm thinking of AOE3: TAD ? info on that please.

A third point:
Apparently I didn't just state it earlier, people ARE coming into this topic and agree with me that being a host is troublesome. Be it for technical, financial or other reasons. Which is good to hear so atleast we are agreeing on that which means we atleast have a base to build upon.

My suggestion is -> me or yankee renting a server.
Take a look at this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], is one of the first things I came across the other day and I must say they are pretty cheap. Yes their servers are USA but imo having an eastcoast server for us EU would not be a deal, infact having looked at their prices and being so cheap you could easily say it's atleast worth contacting them about providing us a Ecoast server for us EUs.
Those prices are in USA dollar btw incase you missed that, so unless they are gonna throw in some random weird tax on us EUs, that is probably one of the cheapest servers one can find.

There is also another server, one I am familiar with, I seen them host CS:S back when I played that a bit. And me and someone else have looked into this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] aswell and they have dutch servers <3

Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrencius Fri May 31, 2013 1:17 am

And last but not least:

"Arguably "Renting" can be more expensive though, as you would be paying their electricity bill, and most probably giving the an extra £10-£20 on top of that, compared to you just paying your own electricity bill." - Lava

Apparently there is atleast one person here who is unaware of things.
Given the things that I discussed before in my previous replies, the last reply I made with host suggestions, and the looking-into-work I did over the years about costs, I can safely say the best thing in my individual case is renting a host. The only reason I asked is that it could've been possible someone said "oh can host it, I have a little server station in my house as I am doing IT work" or "I can throw a MC map on one of the servers here at work".
Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankee Fri May 31, 2013 3:45 am

You do not pay for electricity when renting a server XD. You pay for memory usage or per slots, I wouldn't pay per number of slots though, that's stupid. Basically, the more players you get, the cheaper it is per player.

Zwet, I saw the one you linked before, I am not sure how reliable the cheapest are, but take a look at these as well, I need your opinion:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (cow)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (756, no voice server)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (I don't know how reliable it is. It's cheap, but it seems like there's a catch.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Yankee
Yankee

Back to top Go down

Post  Lava Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 pm

I said the game "0 A.D" not just "A.D" , secondly, what the hell was your first point? I do not "Trash Talk" and most of what you said makes little sense to me. I am giving suggestions and reasons, if my reasons are wrong then fair enough. (Yankee, thank's for correcting me, I don't really understand how Minecraft server's work, I was making an assumption based on current electricity prices). And I said

"Arguably "Renting" can be more expensive though, as you would be paying their electricity bill, and most probably giving the an extra £10-£20 on top of that, compared to you just paying your own electricity bill."

As a general observation, It was not aimed at you or anyone in particular.

And yes, understanding server's are troublesome, I was giving offer's to help, I do apologize if you do not appreciate other people wanting to help.
Lava
Lava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrencius Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:53 am

Lava just shut up.
Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankee Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:20 am

Lawrencius wrote:What is AD?? there are more games with that abreviation? I'm thinking of AOE3: TAD ? info on that please.
He did write 0 A.D to be fair. I had to look up DOTA2 because I had no clue what that was either xD
Lava wrote:as you would be paying their electricity bill, and most probably giving the an extra £10-£20 on top of that, compared to you just paying your own electricity bill.
That does not sound like an "observation", it sounds like a supported fact, which if you searched a little, you would see was not true...
Lava wrote:I do not "Trash Talk" and most of what you said makes little sense to me.
If it makes little sense to you, then maybe you shouldn't getting involved in a discussion about MC servers which you said you have no clue about. :/ As for the "trash talk":
Lava wrote:I really don't need long paragraphs as it wastes my time reading them, and your time writing them? O.K? Good.
Since when is storytelling not accepted on a forum? I have seen you all post more irrelevant crap on this place than this. In relation to the situation, it gives insight to experience, I have had my fair share of them on public servers too and some of you might not, so what else would stop you from making a public server with no restrictions and getting savagely griefed by little pre-teens with superiority complexes?

Now back on to business. MC servers, I think it best to add a separate topic for the MC stuff, because this one is general community games and we are going into detailed planning so [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Last edited by Yankee on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Yankee
Yankee

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankee Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:43 am

Anyway, who was it that said PsYcHo moved to Civ5? I can deny that now just to note. Civ5 is similar to AoM no?

I looked at some DOTA2 gameplay because I didn't want to install it on steam Razz Is it a complete strategy team/solo game or are there other aspects. As a community game, were you suggesting it for strategy warfare or an RP possibility O.o?

I imagine TESO could offer a lot. The setup allows PvP warfare (1v1 and team strategies) which also can be done in PvE, besides that you can RP, you have so much variety. I am optimistic in it being able to house almost all gaming niches, except for the medieval setting being the only limitation. I am following TESO news quite a lot so I'll make sure to note any promising information.
Yankee
Yankee

Back to top Go down

Post  Lava Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:23 am

Yankee what i was referring to with the "Trash Talk" and "Not making sense" is this.

""washes your time? give you a reason?"
there there little fella as if you have anything better to, like running multibillion companies and such at your age.
I've been stating that it wasn't a personal matter, but still getting their imaginative 10 inch dicks stepped on anyway? gimme a break -_-
this is just the reason why I dislike young people having any say in anything.. in any game clan whatsoever.

Really now there is no place for trashtalking about a waste of time when discussing things on a forum of a gaming clan. If it bothers you that much, just piss off from my topic."

That there seem's to be random blabbering and insults.
Lava
Lava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankee Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:51 am

Granted it is comes over a little bit edged-off, it's not random. He makes a point.

"I really don't need long paragraphs as it wastes my time reading them, and your time writing them? O.K? Good."

You started the flaming, end of discussion. Move on. "O.K? Good."
Yankee
Yankee

Back to top Go down

Post  Lava Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 am

Fair enough.

Moving on.
Lava
Lava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrencius Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:52 am

As MC has it's own topic now, what about AOE3.
Little bit contradictory to say it looks good for map editing but you don't wanna go on AOE3 in general because of an assumption that "people are leaving" and you already "tried".

As long as there are people on, and there are still WAY more than on AOE3 than on AOM, I think it is safe to say it is possible to make a clan there.
However I haven't seen anyone talk about WRP there, not as that I have been looking (I probably filtered out custom maps all the time). And in a way it's kinda poopy that there aren't really mythological beings in the editor, well atleast there are a lot of puppets to chose from so... why not give it a better try?

There are so many cool units and buildings there. And since there are trains and shit you can make steampunk RP .... as if that is something that has done before on AOM Shocked
Lawrencius
Lawrencius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next